Welcome!

Welcome to the blog for the Oberlin College Geomorphology Research Group. We are a diverse team of students working with Amanda Henck Schmidt on geomorphology questions. This blog is an archive of our thoughts about our research, field work travel notes, and student research projects. Amanda's home page is here.

Friday, December 23, 2016

And Now for Something Completely Different: Archaeology Post

Hey all,
My name is Lucas Brown, and I was doing some research this last semester with Amanda advising me, so she asked that I do a short post about my findings.

Over the course of this last semester I was doing a hydrology study of an area in Italy that has been dug by archaeology professor Susan Kane since the mid 90's. This area has been inhabited for thousands of years by various cultures; first the Samnites, then the Romans, and now modern Italians. In ancient times the area was heavily terraced, so I was attempting to find out if the ancient terracing had affected the watersheds and general hydrology of the area. To do this I used a modern DEM of the area and also created another DEM using data that has been collect on the local terraces. I then created two sets of watersheds to see if they differed.

I found that several of the watersheds that had many of the terraces within them did have some changes, showing that the terraces did affect the local hydrology. Below are several figures that show the general area and also the watersheds that had changes.
The Monte Pallano area within the Abruzzo region



Base DEM watersheds

Terraced DEM watersheds


No comments:

Post a Comment